the winter school holidays is fast approaching! if like me, you love the extra quality time with your children, however dread the lack of structure. fear not! I have got fifteen ideas that will keep boredom at bay and will keep you celebrating life with your little ones.
family fun at home
for those days you want to stay at home, and would prefer not to resort to electronics, why not try out some of these fun ideas:
- boardgames | why not get your game face on, and keep your kids mentally active with your favourite game. Our family favourites are: Connect 4, Game of life, Guess Who, Monopoly junior, Trouble, and UNO.
- chalk it up | let your little ones loose with a pack of sidewalk chalk and your driveway, patio, or any cement surface. You can play noughts and crosses with them, or maybe even a fun game of hopscotch. Or give them free reign to draw a chalk city: fun buildings, roads, and people. They will have hours of fun ahead of them, when they add their toy cars and trucks to drive around the chalk city.
- pizza making | get your kids busy in the kitchen making lunch or dinner. Pizza is such an easy option. Sure you can make the dough from scratch if you like. Alternatively you can pick up ready made bases from your local supermarket, and your kids can add the sauce. We like to add lots of delicious toppings to little bowls for our little ones to get creative. Who knows what new pizza flavour they will create.
family fun day out
I love quality time with my little family. My most favourite places to hang out with them is at the beach, and our local pool. For a special treat, I like to splash out and take them to the following places:
- Aquarium of Western Australia 91 Southside Drive, Hillarys | Open every day of the holidays | 10am – 5pm | Adults $30, Child (4-15) $18, Children under 4, FREE | July is shark month, and there is plenty of shark-themed kids activities on offer
- Landsdale Farm School | 80 Landsdale Road, Darch | Open every day of the holidays | 8am – 3pm | Adults $7, Child $7, Children under 2, FREE | Monday-Friday of the school holidays, the farm run regular events: at 8am, farm staff feed the animals and clean their enclosures; and at 10am they hold an informal discussion about the animals.
- Wanneroo Botanic Gardens & Mini Golf | 25 Drovers Place, Wanneroo | Open every day of the holidays | 9am – varied closing times | Adults $19, Child (4-15) $14, Children under 4, FREE | No matter what your age or skill level, you are sure to have lots of laughs and create many happy memories as you attempt to conquer the tricks and traps of their two great mini golf courses.
free fun out and about
aside from the obvious free things to do like taking your little ones to one of your local shopping centres featuring free fun school activities, you can also visit these places for some extra fun
- Bunnings Whitfords| Corner Endeavour Road and Whitfords Avenue, Hillarys | Monday-Friday for each week | 10am | Activities are FREE of charge, and we recommend to make a booking by calling 9402 6000 | Each day brings a new fun kids DIY activity within the Bunnings store
- If you can resist the cold, rug up and take your little ones to one of these fabulous playgrounds. The Charles Riley Reserve at North Beach has an amazing flying fox, swings and impressive playground that is suitable for older children. | The Waterman’s Bay playground is a family favourite, it has an incredible view of the ocean, a slide, swing, and climbing equipment, all within a fully fenced area. |And the Whale playground at Scarborough foreshore offers all sorts of ocean-inspired fun playground equipment, including a tube slide, wooden shack and climbing net.
- WA Maritime Museum | The Western Australian Maritime Museum is located in Victoria Quay, Fremantle | Tuesday 10 July | 9.30am – 5pm | On the second Tuesday of every month, entry to the WA Maritime Museum is by donation (not quite free, but definitely an affordable day out) | The museum offers an interactive, interesting and fun experience for families.
road trip exploring the south west
Why not seize the opportunity of no school commitments, and book a mini holiday away, exploring the south west. You can visit the following:
- Lucieville Farm Chalets | Bridgetown was a family favourite destination during my childhood. We stayed at Lucieville Farm Chalets more times than I can count. It is a wonderful farm with lovely animals and fun family activities, including animal feeding and horse riding.
- Pullman Bunker Bay Resort |We are very much looking forward to our stay at this luxurious beachfront retreat. The Pullman Bunker Bay Resort offers school holiday activities each day, aswell as a complimentary kids club, direct beach access, a heated swimming pool, tennis courts, all nestled within the beautiful Margaret River region.
- Ramada Resort Dunsborough | Dunsborough is a popular destination for young families, with it’s close proximity to Busselton and the Margaret River wine region. We have stayed numerous times at the Ramada Resort Dunsborough and find the self-contained apartments family friendly, with the kitchen facilities proving to be very helpful. The resort offers direct beach access, a swimming pool, and spa, tennis courts and children’s playground.
school holiday programs
we can’t be ‘super parents’ all day every day. treat your child to a fun day out on their own, and give yourself a much-needed break. we highly recommend the following school holiday programs.
- BRICKS 4 KIDZ® | Various locations across Perth: City Beach, Claremont, Hillarys and Karrinyup. | Monday 2, Wednesday 4, Friday 6, Tuesday 10, Thursday 12 July | 9am – 3.30pm, and some half day sessions available | Prices are based on each workshop. At a BRICKS 4 KIDZ® school holiday workshop, your child can learn the world of Science, Technology, Engineering and Math, and build specially designed BRICKS 4 KIDZ® models in a fun and collaborative environment.
- Kids Nature Club | Various locations across Perth: Churchlands & Gwelup | Monday 2, Thursday 5, Monday 9, Tuesday 10 July | 9am – 3pm | $79 per session, spend the day outdoors as a nature detective. All materials and equipment included.
- TECHNO KIDS | C3 Church Hepburn Heights, 31 Chadlington Drive, Padbury. | Tuesday & Wednesday, 10-11 July 2018 | 8.20am – 3.30pm | $40 per day, includes lunch, drinks, snacks, and all activities | Technology pull-a-parts | Craft Music Games Christian Values Lesson Movie
I hope some of these ideas have provided you with some holiday inspiration! You can also check out the other school holiday ideas I provided in the autumn edition. I’d love to hear from you, why not share your favourite things to do with your little ones over the school holidays by leaving a comment below.